Triathlon Tasmania has recognised its athletes, coaches and races administrators at its annual awards event held in Launceston on Saturday 14th May. Awards were presented for winners in different categories in the 2001-11 Triathlon Tasmania State Series, and the Awarding of Life Memberships and the prestigious Royce Fairbrother Award.
The Male Athlete of the Year was awarded to Launceston’s James Hodge after a dominant season in Tasmania and age group victories in mainland events.
The Female Athlete of the year was awarded to Devonport’s Amelia Pearson who crowned a wonderful season as Australian Female Ironman champion.
The Junior Athlete of the Year was awarded to Dylan Evans. Dylan had major results in the highly competitive ITU Junior competition including a podium position at the Oceania Championships in New Zealand
Cradle Coast Triathlon and Multisport had a strong representation at the dinner with Triathlon Tasmania Life memberships being presented to members Steve Oliver and Craig Redman.
Steve Oliver has a longstanding involvement in triathlon in Tasmania as a competitor and volunteer. Craig Redman is a former world age groups champion is currently coach to nationally ranked Tasmanian athletes and is also working with elite junior athletes through his positioning Triathlon Australia.
The 2010-11 Royce Fairbrother award, recognising a contribution to triathlon over a number of years was awarded to Joe Pearson. Joe has provided ongoing contribution as a race director and in the formation of the Cradle Coast Triathlon and Multisport Club.
Triathlon Tasmania President Marcus Haward said that the 2010-11-race season showed Tasmania triathletes performing at the highest level in national and international events. It was pleasing too the see many Tasmanians take part in their first triathlon.
Triathlon Tasmania also recognises the efforts of Tasmanian clubs and their members.
TRIATHLON TASMANIA – 2010 -11 Award Winners - CCTM Members in Blue
- Male Athlete of the Year – James Hodge (Launceston)
- Female Athlete of the Year – Amelia Pearson (Devonport)
- Junior Athlete of the Year – Dylan Evans (Launceston)
- Most Improved Junior Athlete of the Year – Matt Gaby (Burnie)
- Triathlon Tasmania Race of the Year – Coles Bay 100
- Outstanding Triathlon Achievement (Under 40) – Hayden Armstrong (Hobart)
- Outstanding Triathlon Achievement (Over 40) – Benny Parsons (Turners Beach)
- Volunteer of the Year – Juliet Plumb (Hobart)
- President’s Awards – Bob Van Der Velde (Devonport); Suzie Bower (Launceston)
- Royce Fairbrother Award – Joe Pearson (Devonport)
- Life Memberships – Craig Redman (Leith); Steven Oliver (Ballarat)